Vipec v44 - Start Up and Initial Tune - E30 M3

For discussion of engine managment computers; the boxes that run fuel injection, ignition and other engine-related functions.

Moderators: Alex, Neel

Vipec v44 - Start Up and Initial Tune - E30 M3

Postby Yamez RS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:41 am

Neel,

We discussed this a little bit via email but per your suggestion I will post my questions here. I have finished the wiring harness, v44, and carbon airbox install on my E30 M3 and fired it up on the start up map you sent me. It idles smoothly and I was able to back it out of the garage under it's own power. Here are the basic parameters that I am working with.

E30 M3
Stock 2.3 S14
Stock Batch Injection
Distributor Ignition
Carbon Airbox
Vipec v44
MAP sensor linked to TBs

My goal now is to get it on the road and start the tuning process. I'd like to handle the big parts of it myself and then have you do a final detail tune on it once it's all roughed in. Can you provide a list of settings and parameters I should check before taking it out on the road? Can you also provide a simple outline of how I should approach the tuning process as well? I'd like to know what settings (warmup enrichment, decel cutoff, etc) I should leave off at first and then at what point I should add them. Obviously I'm asking for a lot of information but I think it would a very helpful guide for getting a v44 up and running! Please let me know what information I've left out (there has to be something) and if there are any other recommendations you would suggest.

Cheers,
James
Yamez RS

Re: Vipec v44 - Start Up and Initial Tune - E30 M3

Postby Neel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:04 am

Can you provide a list of settings and parameters I should check before taking it out on the road?

Frankly, it should be everything. You need to go through all the ECU parameters and make sure they are correct and relevant. Vi-PEC's software help is very thorough for this. You should make sure every single input reads properly and test every output.

Can you also provide a simple outline of how I should approach the tuning process as well?

In simple terms, once you verify everything reads perfectly and all the outputs run, you want to adjust the base fuel table so that the car runs at about 12:1. Set the ignition table to a flat 20 degrees. Then you start doing partial throttle pulls and progressively run through the throttle and RPM ranges until you have the map roughed out. Fill out sections you can't reach by extrapolation and interpolation.

Use a good knock monitor and if you ever hear det stop and reduce ignition timing. Once you are at a pretty consistant 12:1, you can add timing and reduce fuel to find max torque while watching out for det. Then you can try a variety of injection timing numbers for best torque, and then do constant speed throttle blips to determine accel and decel fuel settings. You may also monitor map and decide to have a correction or blend strategy.

This is a simplified outline; it's a process that takes time and experience to master. There's a good book by Jeff Hartman on the subject; I might suggest starting there. The base cold start functions etc in Vi-Pec are pretty good. I would leave them and tune the car warm first.

-Neel
Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
2947 S. Sepulveda Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(P)310.314.2005
(f)310.496.0951
neel@apexspeedtech.com
http://www.apexspeedtech.com
Neel
Site Admin

Re: Vipec v44 - Start Up and Initial Tune - E30 M3

Postby Yamez RS » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 am

Neel,

Initially I'm looking for driveabilty, not max power and torque so I don't need to get too aggressive with timing. Since the engine is stock with exception of the airbox would you recommend using a stock ignition table and just tune the fueling? Additionally, is there any reason I shouldn't use the quick tune feature in the Vipec to do this?

Is this the book you are refering to?

Thanks,
James
Yamez RS

Return to Engine Management Systems (ECUs)